After a great weekend last year Paul from the Bude Canoe Experience organised a second white water canoeing weekend in Okehampton for the OCA. 24 paddlers and 8 leaders met at Okehampton YHA for a couple of days great paddling.
Initially the levels looked low, but prayers were answered and heavy rain Saturday morning filled the rivers to perfect bouncy levels.
On Saturday we had 3 groups all paddling different rivers.
1. The Tamar from Greystone Bridge to Gunnislake (20km G2).
2. The Tavy from Tavistock to Denham Bridge (10km G2/3).
3. The Teign from Fingle Bridge to Steps Bridge (15km G2).
From the chatting going on at dinner that evening it seemed everyone had a great day with entertaining conditions!
Steady showers overnight maintained brilliant levels for Sunday when again we split into 3 groups all paddling different rivers.
1. The Barle from Tarr Steps to Dulverton (10km G2).
2. The Barle (Exe really!) play wave at Exe Bridge.
3. The Teign from Marsh Bridge to Fingle Bridge (5km G2).
Again from post paddling banter the level on the Barle was entertaining and swift. The Teign Gorge was challenging forcing a few rock spins and swims! The play wave turned out to be a bit more of a rodeo wave with paddlers opting for some on shore safety training and a cream tea!
What a great weekend!
For more information about the OCA visit https://www.opencanoe.info